Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Canadian Nyquil

This is a picture of my mother's nose. She has a cold, see? Poor nose. However, she has discovered the helpful powers of Canadian Nyquil (generic). Canadian Nyquil contains an ingredient that US Nyquil no longer is allowed to have in it: pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. I have interviewed her about her experience with it.

  • What is the medication you are taking? Equate brand Nighttime Cold and Flu Relief. On the package it says, "Caution: use under doctor's supervision. Contains enough drug to seriously harm a child."

  • What symptoms are you experiencing? A head cold: stuffy, runny nose; sore throat; headache; cough; general blahziness. [She insisted that I spell "blahziness" with a z rather than with an s.]

  • Does the medication work on your symptoms? No. It might clear up some congestion in my nose.

  • What other effects does it have? It makes me sleep, which is good when a person is sick. This is also good because normally I can't sleep with my mouth open (due to congestion). It makes me have loopiness, fuzziness, memory loss, and perhaps a feeling of drunkenness, though I have never been drunk in my life. [It is this interviewer's strong opinion that she was experiencing loopiness at the time of the interview.] It also makes me feel like I am taking something illegal.

  • How much does this medication cost? I don't know. Probably the same as Nyquil in the US.

  • How does one get it? You go to Canada to buy it. It's okay to bring over the border.

5 comments:

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

Drunk mom, woo hoo! I want some of that. I feel a cold coming on. Cough cough. ;)

Eva McGann said...

Ok, so I am not sure if you are reccomending this or not. She said it is not working on her symptoms except maybe for some congestion. I need a firm reccomendation before I drive to Canada to buy some. Not like I am REALLY going to do that, but ya know. Let's pretend I am. But then again, maybe I don't want to pretend I am going to Canada. I have been there enough times to know that if I am going to pretend to go somewhere, I should pretend to go somewhere better than Canada. Like maybe let's pretend I am going on that cruise that you went on with your family last fall. Yes, pretend that. But wait..how do I get the medicine? And do I want to go on a cruise if I am sick and need medicine? Can you tell that I am bored at work? Just answer the question and shut me up.

Eva McGann said...

Oh, and how rude of me not to mention that I hope your mother feels better soon.

Kimberly said...

Eva, this a factual piece only and is not intended in any way to recommend it to you or to discourage you from buying it.

Someone is exhibiting work-avoidance behavior here.

Jennifer said...

Down with the FDA! Bring back pseudophedrine HCl!

Nyquil's too strong for me. I have to take a half-dose and even then I'm knocked out.