Tuesday, June 9, 2009

virtues of vegetarianism

While teaching our church Primary class of 3 and 4 year olds a lesson on "I Have a Body", I showed the children this picture:As a vegetarian I found it very interesting that the picture shows Daniel refusing the king's meat.

I went and read the story more closely after Primary. Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, and Daniel were among the children that King Nebuchadnezzar had brought from Israel to train in his court. Here is the story from the Bible, Daniel chapter 1:

5 And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king’s meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king....

8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself....

12 Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.
13 Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king’s meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.
14 So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.
15 And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king’s meat.
16Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.
17As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom; and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

20And in all matters of wisdom and understanding, that the king enquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and astrologers that were in all his realm.

So here I sit eating my pulse (Grape Nuts) and pondering on the potential virtues of being a vegetarian.

[Don't worry; I didn't teach the children that they are going to hell if they eat meat!! Neither do I think you are going to hell for eating meat, dear reader. Relax yourself.]

Here is a link to a truly excellent article about Mormonism and vegetarianism that I wish I had written.

9 comments:

Eva McGann said...

I learned something today!! I never knew that Daniel led a vegetarian revolt!!

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

Wow that was A LOT of reading. I learned a lot. I think I am more confused then before I read anything. What is this talk about the 1979 footnote about vegetarians not being of God. I understand that prophets have said to eat meat sparingly but meat is very healthy and good for you in small quantities and I felt like this guy was saying we should never eat meat according to the words of the church. Am I reading this all wrong? Great read though. This guy is very passionate. It sounded a little worrisome that he might leave the church over this because no one would listen to him. There seemed to be a lot of anger behind his words. Maybe I'm mistaking passion for anger. I'm not sure. Very interesting though. Thanks for that.

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

18 And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;
The current footnote to the word “forbiddeth” reads, “IE biddeth to abstain,” so that the verse may be read as, “whoso biddeth to abstain from meats... is not ordained of God.” This completely changes the meaning of the verse, and introduces problems of its own. First, all those who choose to label themselves vegetarian are suddenly identified as “not ordained of God.” Any thoughts sympathetic to vegetarianism simultaneously come under divine scrutiny if this footnote is indeed God's intended interpretation (which He subtly made known only via the 1979 footnotes).

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

HELP!!! I'm confused. EEEK

Christa said...

The term meat referred to the food that graced the kings table (compare to Genesis 1:29). The reason for Daniel's refusal to eat the food may have included the following. (1) some of the food used by the Babylonians were likely among the items forbidden for consumption (eating) in the Mosaic law (see Leviticus 11; Dueteronomy 14); (2) Babylonians, like other heathens, ate beasts that had not been properly drained of blood (see Leviticus 3:17) and thereby violated the Mosiac law; and (3) the heathens consecrated the food at their feasts by offering up part of the food and drink as sacrifices to their gods. Consuming such food would be participating in the worship of false gods....Daniel was strictly loyal to the Lord and refused to be involved in any practice associated with anything unclean idolatrous.

Thanks for the reaon to do a little research. I learned a lot. :)

Christa said...

Oh yes - I forgot to credit my source of knowledge...The Old Testament Student manual (published by the church for Seminary and Institute classes). Believe me - I never would have figured out that one on my own.

Kimberly said...

Very interesting, ya'll. Glad to spark a debate. Keep in mind that I don't care ONE BIT whether people eat meat or not.

Anonymous said...

The debate on wether the bible is telling us to eat meat or not will go on and on. Take it from it what you will be the world did start out Vegetarian in the beginning as stated in

Genesis 1:29-30

I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be food for you. And to the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food. And it was so"

It was not until after God destroyed the world with the flood do we hear him tell Noah in

Genesis 9:1-3

Genesis 9:1-3 says: "Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all of the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, now I give you everything."


So now its ok to eat meat? Again here is where the debate gets going and can continue all through the bible till the time of Christ. Eat meat! don't eat it! and on and on.

I feel that if you are going to eat meat or not do it for one reason. Explained in

1 Corinthians 10:31

31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Kimberly said...

Stephen- lovely! What a great comment.

April- I can't believe you actually READ that article!