Tuesday, August 18, 2009

umbrella etiquette

Daily double: This morning I read on facebook that a friend of mine likes to wear a mink costume while he rummages through the neighbors' trash to find recyclables. Then on the way to work there was a car in front of me whose license plate said "MINK".

What is manly and what is not? In some countries men walk arm in arm or hand in hand and think nothing of it. Not so here. Remember the images of President Bush holding hands with Saudi Prince Abdullah and the fuss it raised? On the radio this morning one DJ asked the other, "Would you share an umbrella with another man?" The response: "HELL no." (His word, not mine.) I think that's the sentiment of most men. Interesting. I have a friend who takes this a step further and refuses to use an umbrella at all. Apparently it is more manly to look like a drowned rat than to use an umbrella. The Military agrees: for centuries male Military personnel have not carried umbrellas, as it is considered wimpy. Women are excepted from this piece of wisdom. (For debate about this disparity, see the article here.) I am glad I am a female and can gleefully and confidently snuggle up to a girlfriend with our arms around each other under an umbrella and use the common sense God gave us.

From Peter Pan's "Never Smile at at Crocodile":
You may very well be well bred
Lots of etiquette in your head
But there's always some special case, time or place
To forget etiquette

4 comments:

Eva McGann said...

See? That is why I loved George Bush. He holds hands with men and uses and umbrella....ettiquette be darned.

April Morgan McCoy "Auntie April" said...

She took the words right out of my mouth. Now that's a man!

Julie Smith said...

All I know is that in Seattle, you are a whimp of you use an umbrella whether you're a woman or man.

M@ said...

Love it! Love it!