Sunday, April 6, 2008

More Tragedy

  • I just finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It is a beautiful work of art. And true to the form of all beautiful works of art (see my last post), the theme was "life sucks and then you die." I hear that they are making a movie out of this book. A person considering going to this movie should take into account that it is harsh. Harsh. I thank Eva for this excruciating experience. Having just been beaten with the surgical hose that is The Time Traveller's Wife, I am in search of a Garfield comic book to soothe my soul.
  • I am now reading, simultaneously, Bleak House by Charles Dickens and The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I plan to see the screenplays of both after I am done reading. I think I have read Bleak House before, but it is only vaguely familiar as I read it. I have heard that Gillian Anderson (Scully of X-Files fame) gives an award-winning performance in the miniseries as one of the main characters. Gillian has always been a really really good actress. She has such a huge range unlike David Duchovny (who plays Mulder in X-Files). And Philippa Gregory seems like my kind of writer although I have never read anything by her. Why haven't I? If I like it, and if it is not too naughty, I have a feeling that I will read all of her stuff. I also have a feeling that these two novels are probably less than cheery. I have fallen in a tragedy trap.

No comments: